CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Survived My First Night

I started volunteering for the Merge (Jr. High ministry) at church a few months ago and have been really enjoying it a lot. Last night was my first night to have the 6th grade girls with me preparing the study (from Jay's lesson). I've filled in before and used their notes and preparations for small group. But last night, it was Megan and me. She is my teen leader for our group. She is really awesome and I think we are going to make a great team for the new 6th grade girls!

I was so nervous about my notes and what my take was on our study. I kept second guessing myself. I even thought about having Scott or Jay read over my outline. But I talked myself out of it and just kept praying that God would give me the right words to say to these girls. I just kept doubting myself and each time I did, I would just lift it up to God. I have to say it went great last night!!! We only had a few girls, so it was pretty intimate and all the girls felt like sharing. It was awesome. I didn't feel like an idiot and I don't think I made a complete fool of myself. Jay even said several things that I had in my notes (confirmation for me). Yes, I know, I'm making this about me and it's not about me. It's about the girls and helping them see their way as young Christians and being here for them. But I have to be honest, I think I'm going to gain as much, if not more, than these girls are from being a part of this ministry. I've done lots of volunteering for different areas in the church. But nothing ever got me excited like this. I don't ever dread going to any events or our Wednesday nights. I really look forward to seeing everyone and getting to listen to Jay. He is great with the kids. I feel really good about serving in this area and I know God has something in mind for me. That is the first time I think I can honestly say that about anywhere I've served before in church!

I also feel really blessed because Dylan doesn't mind me being a part of it. I probably would not have signed up if he wasn't comfortable with me being there. How nice it is that my 12 year old son doesn't mind me hanging around. Now, when Marissa is in 6th grade, it might be a different story. But I have another year before that happens.

Until next time.....

0 comments: