CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Parenting is Hard Sometimes

I got a call from my ex-husband today. I knew it wasn't good when he asked if I had a minute to talk, because he doesn't like to talk. It could have been worse, but it was about grades and getting something from the school counselor and teacher. We had a pretty long discussion about what is going on with one of the kids because we don't see eye to eye on this situation. We were both very respectful and nothing ever got out of hand in any way. So I'm very thankful for that, it is usually a fear of mine when situations arise with "the other side". I don't do well with confrontations at all and don't like them in the least. If you ask Scott, he would tell you different, though.

Anyway, I'm very torn now in what needs to be done in this circumstance. I would very much appreciate prayers for clarity. It could be one of those instances that either way we go, it's going to be a hard lesson learned and that either decision is not a bad one. But maybe not. I'm really struggling with taking my child out of an honors class that they are not passing. Actually it's 2 honors classes. Here's my dilemma...if they are taken out of the class when they aren't putting 100% of their efforts into it, what are we teaching them? If we leave them in the classes and try to force them to put 100% effort into it, what are we gaining? Are they going to pass if this effort is put into it? I feel like pulling them out of the class is just putting a band-aid on the issue and we are just going to be facing the same thing again in another "hard" class, or even just another hard situation. Are we teaching them to bail when it gets tough. About 90% of me says yes to that last question. So if that's the answer, how do I change what I'm doing as a parent to teach them this value and to help the situation? I told my ex-husband that I don't believe that we are doing everything would could be doing as parents to help in this. That this situation needs consistency and efforts on our part. He believes that if we continue with "forcing" the situation that we are just going to cause our child to be frustrated and resentful towards school and that outcome would be worse.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm grateful that my ex didn't just sign on the dotted line and make a big decision for the both of us. I guess my next step is to call the school counselor tomorrow and make an appointment to discuss it with her. Keep it in your prayers and I'll keep you posted on what decision we make.

Until next time...

2 comments:

ChefMichele said...

I can totally sympathize with you. When Paul was in HS, we were having some problems with classwork and passing. I will email you with the details, as not to bore your readers. The outcome? His counselor was the biggest help in the situation. She was outside the box and gave me her opinions what would be best for Paul ( immediate and long term ). I was grateful for her assistance and talked it over with ACA, whose history and experience is in education. We all agreed ( including Paul ) as I really didnt make any decision without him. Things worked out for what I believe was the best solution at the time. Keep praying for guidance and make your decision. Either way, it will work out the way its supposed to. Love you,
Michele ( sister-in-law )

The Jon-Paul Lessards! said...

Angie I don't know how to just add a comment w/o commenting on a prior post. So I am commenting on a prior post. Hope you have a mui caliente time in Mexico!!!!

xoxox Jill